Here’s a multiple choice question for you to ponder.
What should prospective citizens to do in order for them to become British?
- Sign up as a volunteer for local charity
- Pass a British history test
- Be able to read and speak English
- Know the words to “God Save the Queen”
- None of the above, just pay taxes and obey the law
I’ve made some of choices these up, but some of them are actual proposals by the Home Office in their new points based citizenship consultation. If you’ve strong feelings about this (and I would hope you do!) then you can submit your opinions to the Home Office online.
Here’s something else to think about. Should these requirements apply to British born citizens as well? Personally, I think they should. This simple but effective test for evaluating whether proposed changes to citizenship requirements are reasonable or just political nonsense.